Title of the Project: WOMEN ENTREPRENUERSHIP IN RENEWABLE ENERGY
Project Period: Sept 2014 – March 2015
Project Location: Makueni and Kajiado Counties
- Launch the Women in Renewable Energy Partnership Campaign.
- Develop an expandable and replicable business model for delivering off-grid services.
- Establish a conducive business environment for renewable energy entrepreneurship by implementing supportive policies, regulations, and incentives.
- Some notable achievements of the project include:
- Providing information on climate change, solar energy, and entrepreneurship to 30,000 households through various forums.
- Providing seed capital to 10 women and youth groups to start their business enterprises.
- Creating a business model that allows women to receive loans from women’s groups based on their savings.
- Distribution of 400 solar lanterns in Makueni and Kajiado Counties, resulting in a reduction in the use of wood fuel for lighting in homes.
- Improved economic status, with households saving KES. 140 per week and the average shop generating around KES 15,000 per month. The funds are utilized for group projects and activities that benefit all members.